Individual therapy sessions with myself utilize the Internal Family Systems (IFS) methodology. IFS is a powerful evidence-based approach to therapy developed by Dick Schwartz in the 1990’s. It holds the premise that all people have a core self full of qualities such as compassion, connection, calm and confidence. These qualities are available to all of use when we are able to work with and bring relief to the “parts” of us that are blocking our true self. IFS uses the term “parts”, but it is easily replaceable with the word feelings or thoughts or behaviors.
The concept is that, over time, everyone develops “parts” (thoughts, feelings or behaviors) in response to events in our lives that made an impact. These “parts” have our best interest at heart and work really hard to protect us and get their task accomplished (e.g. Inner Critic, Task Master, Logic, Anger, Distraction, Overeating). Alas, our “parts” work from a limited perspective and therefore are not always fully achieving the task they are trying to achieve.
IFS works to get us to be able to do our best work and be our best selves by teaching us how to utilize our self-energy more, as opposed to operating from our “parts” (thoughts, feelings, behaviors).
Learn more at ifs-institute.com.
If any of these sound like you…
- You keep repeating the same behavior over and over
- You feel anxious because part of you thinks you should do one thing, and another part of you thinks you should do another
- You’re interested in therapy, but you don’t want to have to reveal every detail of struggles you have been through
- Your job or relationships are being negatively impacted by your struggle
- You need somebody to help you make sense of all the confusion or mixed emotions you feel
- You want to feel more confident, empowered, balanced or harmonious
…Then individual therapy could be right for you.
Individual therapy is helpful for so many people because it’s the best way to get truly customized therapy. Group therapy has its own set of advantages but if you want more control over the pacing of your therapy, the methods used, the amount of analysis or feedback you can receive, and the timing of your sessions, then individual therapy is a better fit for you.
Please reach out to me today to schedule your first appointment.